List:       kdevelop-devel
Subject:    Re: options to run
From:       Aleix <aleixpol () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-10-13 11:29:39

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 11:47 PM, Andreas Pakulat <apaku@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 12.10.08 22:43:20, Aleix wrote:
> arguments
> > > and
> ProjectModel,
> supposed

> executing
> of
> > >
> > > Ok, thanks now I understand you a lot better. Hmm, I want to be able to
> > > right-click a target in the project model and say "run", which should
> > > create a target that builds that item before running it of course. But
> also
> > > we need support for specifying any executable and just run it...
> > >
> > > The only thing I'm not sure about right now is how the GUI to select
> > > between executable and target should be and how to select targets from
> the
> > > project model. Things that would be cool
> > >
> > > - choosing a target fills in the 'executable' line with the built or
> > >  installed version of that target, but disables editing of it
> >
> > Agree, this would be cool.
>
> s/would be cool/is a must have :) Not necessarily for 4.0 though.
>
> > > - somehow switch to "executable" mode, which disables choosing a target
> > > - show a tree of dirs+targets for choosing a target
> > > - for target-mode choose what to do before running it (build, install,
> > >  install as root, none of that)
> >
> > Why don't we take advantage of the buildsets? How do buildsets fit in
> this
> > idea?
>
> What are you thinking of? Adding the target to the buildsystem? Might not
> be good, think about developing KDevelop. You're working on shell in the
> runcontroller, but to test you want to run kdevelop. So adding kdevelop
> target to the buildset is not useful. In fact maybe we need something more
> extensive:
>
> - be able to either directly put a url for an executable to run

Ok

> - choose a runnable target from the project tree as target to run

> - define a list of dependent targets/dirs/files from the project tree that
>  should be built before running this target - no matter wether we used a
>  project-item target or just a plain executable

So your idea is to have  a buildset for every run-target?
It would be interesting to have these project-wise targets in the project
configuratiion as volodya suggested in another thread too.

> Yeah I think thats what we should have. That way I can work on my
> kdevplatform plugin and have KDevelop build it before running kdevelop.
> Plus I don't need kdevelop open as project necessarily, because I can just
> use the installed app. This is something developers of "external" plugins
> are going to like, think about plasma devs writing their plugin and just
> executing a script which re-starts plasma so it finds the new plugin and
> loads it.

Agree, but it might not be a good idea to have too complicated targets to
setup i think.

I'll try to come up with smth today, ok?