List:       kdevelop-devel
Subject:    Quickopen dialog
From:       David Nolden <zwabel () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2007-10-01 0:14:58

Hi! I'm thinking about creating a new quickopen dialog for Kdevelop-4.

Since we do header-parsing by default now, we can list files, or items
contained in files, that were included into the translation-unit represented
by the current open document. This is especially useful when looking up
documentation, or when working without a project at all.
- We can show additional information embedded into the quickopen list, using
the technology from the completion list(for this reason the quickopen widget
should be a little bigger now).

Still, since it might be confusing sometimes getting all that out-of-project
content, I think it's useful being able to disable those items from the GUI.

Also I think it would be useful if we would create only a single
implementation of the quickopen-widget, that can choose different models
based on a model/view approach. That way it's easy to switch between
Files/Classes/Functions, or maybe even list them all within one list, so such
options is are shown in the mockup.

We can still provide the quickopen-function, quickopen-class, and
quickopen-file shortcuts, by preselecting the correct item for each case.

Eventually we could also hide those options between an "advanced" button that
would make them show up, however I think this isn't needed as long as it's
only those few options.

I'm posting this to the list for discussion because Andreas has some concerns
about having gui-items in the quickopen dialog.

So discuss please. :)

Greetings, David

["quickopen_vertical_version.png" (image/png)]