List:       kdevelop-devel
Subject:    Re: Code Snippets in KDevelop4
From:       "Robert Gruber" <R.Gruber () gmx ! net>
Date:       2006-08-02 14:31:58

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Tue, 1 Aug 2006 18:28:00 -0500
Von: Matt Rogers <mattr@kde.org>
An: kdevelop-devel@kdevelop.org
Betreff: Re: Code Snippets in KDevelop4

> Why do we need repositories for code snippets? This needs more explaining
> in order for me to better understand it.

The idea behind the repositories is to have the ability to use snippets stored in \
different locations. The default will be a repository in the .kde directory of the \
user's home. Let's assume one uses KDevelop at work. The company might keep a snippet \
repository for all workers on one of their servers.  To use it, the user can creates \
a samba-mount and add the directory to his list of repositories.

An other case that came into my mind is this. A library might ship snippets in form \
of a XML-file.  The user might not want the snippets from the library to mess up his \
own repository. So he imports the lib's snippets into a new repository.  That way \
it's also easy to upgrad to a newer version of the snippet XML-file. Just remove the \
content of directory and reimport the new file.

The whole thing will be very easy to configure. If the user does not configure \
anything at all he has his single global repository.  But if he want to use more \
repositories he just has to add the paths to the repositories, and that's it.

Nevertheless if you think that's a stupid idea I'll have no problem with limiting the \
repositories to one global and one for each project. There's no difference in the \
implementation if there is one or any number of repositories.

Regards, Robert