List:       kdevelop-devel
Subject:    Code Snippet Part - Enhancement Idea
From:       jsmith435 () cox ! net
Date:       2006-05-27 4:53:36

Hello:

I want to get your thoughts on a possible change to the Code Snippet part.

I dug through the source code and found where the snippets are actually stored
on disk, in an *.rc file.  What I'm picturing here is a directory somewhere
containing sub-directories (the groups) and text files (the actual code
snippet, one text file per snippet).

A routine within the Snippet part would examine this directory (configured
perhaps within KDevelops settings dialog) and create the tree-like view (a
KListView widget, right?) structured to match the directory hierarchy and use
the text file's file name perhaps as the Text to display for each snippet in
the tree-view.

In my mind, storing the snippets in a directory as regular text files would
enable several things:

1.  It gets closer to the unix philosophy that everything is a text file (well
even the rc file is a text file, but in this form is is not so tightly
structured)

2.  Having a single file contain a single snippet would allow users to create
snippets using their favorite editor, vi, emacs, etc. just as they would
create any other text file (they would not have to worry about the structure
of an rc file)

3.  Folks could use sed, awk, perl, etc. to manipulate and modify code
snippets with more ease than if they were bound to an rc file structure.

4.  Given this is a simple directory, development teams could I think more
easily publish a standard set of templates in a location accessible to all
developers and that way all running instances of KDevelop (for each
developer) could read that single location for the code snippets.  As far as
I know right now you could not do this with an rc file--you would have to
give a copy to each developer after you added all the standard snippets, at
least I think so.

5.  Doing so would just seem to open up the snippets to better use with other
standard Unix tools, as described above.

6.  Of course, with the idea of publishing a single directory for your
snippets, maybe we should think about a primary (or central) snippets path
and a local snippets path, both configurable within KDevelop's settings
dialog (or the conf dialog for the snippets part) and the snippets tree-view
could reflect a main tree-node for the central location and a main node for
the local location (the individual developer's own personal snippets
collection).  Maybe some sort of "sharing" feature could be added to allow a
developer to publish a snippet from his local collection to the central
snippet location?  This seems like it would be a simple cp
mysnippet  /path/to/central/snippet/location operation.

Well, this is just an idea I had as I was looking at the current snippet part.
I think this would be an easy enough enhancement for someone at my level of
knowledge of C++ could handle, unless you all disagree.

Does anyone agree with the idea, or does anyone disagree with the idea?  Does
anyone have any thoughts, concerns, questions, or comments about the idea?

I think this would give me that great opportunity to finally contribute some
code to an open source project.

Thanks,

-Jason