List:       kdevelop-devel
Subject:    Re: Purpose of "buildtools" .so and .la files
From:       Matt Rogers <mattr () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-01-17 14:42:02

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 11:19:11AM +0100, Jeremy Laine wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently doing some maintenance on the Debian packages of
> KDevelop and there are a number of shared objects and .la files whose
> purpose is not obvious to me. I cannot find any binaries or libraries
> that depend on the shared objects, which leaves me wondering whether
> they need to be distributed at all (possibly in a development package?).

just because they're not depended on doesn't mean they aren't plugins.
:)

> I'd really appreciate any pointers on this topic! The files are:
>
> /usr/lib/libkdevautomakeimporter.so
> /usr/lib/libkdevautomakeimporter.la
> /usr/lib/libkdevcustomimporter.so
> /usr/lib/libkdevcustomimporter.la
> /usr/lib/libqmakeimporter.so
> /usr/lib/libqmakeimporter.la
> /usr/lib/libkdevmakebuilder.so
> /usr/lib/libkdevmakebuilder.la

the above 8 files are not in use for the KDevelop 3 series and they can
be safely removed.

> /usr/lib/libkdevqtimporter.so
> /usr/lib/libkdevqtimporter.la
> /usr/lib/libkdevkdelibsimporter.so
> /usr/lib/libkdevkdelibsimporter.la
> /usr/lib/libkdevcustompcsimporter.so
> /usr/lib/libkdevcustompcsimporter.la

These are in use for the creation of C++ code completion databases and
should be kept.

Also, while you're at it, can you _PLEASE_ unbreak the debian packages
by removing kdevelop 2 (which is horribly obsolete) and renaming
everything from kdevelop3 to just kdevelop? It causes tons of issues and
I can go look up the relevant bugs numbers on bugs.kde.org if you need
to see how much.

Thanks
--
Matt