List:       kdevelop-devel
Subject:    Re: Direction of KDevelop4
From:       Andrew Sutton <asutton () cs ! kent ! edu>
Date:       2005-09-14 13:20:56

> On the other hand, the more comments there is, the easier it is to
> have them
> go out of synch with the code. And as you say, the only real bad
> comment is a
> lying comment.

true enough. it's a delicate balance :)

> Wouldn't it be a great test to ask them to write a program without
> a single
> comment and remind them that you will have to understand what they
> wrote very
> easily ? That way, you would theach them not to write obfuscated
> code, even
> if there is some comment to explain what it does.

not a bad idea, but it might reinforce the notion that uncommented
code is acceptable - which we really don't want. i grade style
anyway, so the students lose points for obfuscation, inconsistent
indenting, etc.

this can easily veer off topic. i just wanted to point out that
removing comments is a pretty bad idea. for better or worse, somebody
wrote them, and as long as their accurate, they're meaningful to that
person.

andrew sutton
asutton@cs.kent.edu