List:       kdevelop-devel
Subject:    Re: Too may ways to select files
From:       Vladimir Prus <ghost () cs ! msu ! su>
Date:       2005-09-07 6:35:57

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 18:07, Jens Herden wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I aggree that there are too many file selection tools in KDevelop.
>
> > - The "File list" probably is not needed at all, since "Window" menu
> > provides access to all the files already.
>
> I want to mention that it provides more than that. There is some kind of
> status information via the icons, a context menu and you can define sets of
> open files here which you can open and close very easily.
> I just added this feature not so long ago. It is a port from Quanta and for
> us Quanta developer it is important to have this feature somewhere in
> KDevelop. I am open for discussions where a good place is but I am not very
> keen to drop this again.

I see. Some thoughts:

1. The "project views" (sets of open files) functionality is also available
from Project->Proejct view menu, so it's not going to disappear is any case.

2. The file status icon (save/revert) are nice, though the same icon should
appear in tab caption (at least save icon does). And since the icon is not
clickable neither in tab caption nor in file list view, this is not critical.

3. I assume that for Quanta, the "project views" functionality is important
enough to warrant a sidebar. Is it equally important for regular C++
development? Recalling that "Project->Project view" menu is there anyway?
Maybe, the sidebar can be shown only for Quanta?

- Volodya