List:       kdevelop-devel
Subject:    Re: KMDI usage in KDevelop4
From:       Vladimir Prus <ghost () cs ! msu ! su>
Date:       2005-07-13 15:05:05

On Wednesday 13 July 2005 00:06, Alexander Dymo wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 July 2005 08:26, Vladimir Prus wrote:
> > 2. What's the rationale for the change? How much time will it take to
> > make "simple ideal" mode work on par with current KMDI?
>
> Rationale? Hmm... take a closer look at kmdi and kdockwidget sources ;)

Well, they are certainly not very nice ;-) The biggest problem is lack of
comments.

However, the code in src/newui, which being more that twice smaller than KMDI,
has the same problem (comments I mean).

> Simple Ideal already does what is necessary for Ideal mode and even more
> (splitting windows). But it will never support other mdi modes.
>
> > 3. Does the new ideal mode works good enough at the moment?
>
> You can try it. Go to user interface settings in KDevelop and choose
> simple ideal mode (you should have KDevelop HEAD). I work with it every
> day. KDevAssistant already runs in simple ideal mode by default and I'm
> planning to make it default for KDevelop as well after I polish splittings
> windows.

Ok, I've tried it. First bug report:

1. Start KDevelop
2. Click on "Variables" tab.

Expected result (as in KMDI):
1. The window takes about 20% of main window width.
2. The "Variable name" column takes 50% of variables window width

Actual result:
1. The window takes about 70% of main window width
2. The "Variable name" column takes about 10% of variables window width

Another problem is that variables window is not auto-hidden when debugger
exists, but I'll report that problem in detail after committing the
auto-hiding code, so that you can easily reproduce.

Also -- seems like it's no longer possible to "float"/"detach" a tool window?

> > 4. What's the timeline for switch to that code? KDE4? If that's the case,
> > I'll still have to work with KMDI. KDE4 is too late for me.
>
> You can either work on KDevelop 3.2/HEAD implementation of simple ideal
> or on KDE4 port (which will be committed soon).
>
> > Sorry to be boring, but is there an answer to my question (2) above?
> > What's the rationale for the change? How much time will it take to make
> > "simple ideal" mode work on par with current KMDI?
>
> I don't expect that large changes are necessary. Just a bit of polishing.

Ok, I'll try using this mode for a while and report any other problem I run
into.

- Volodya