List:       kdevelop-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Cervisia again, plus greater problems
From:       Ben Burton <bab () debian ! org>
Date:       2005-03-17 0:08:14

Hi Andras -- thanks very much for your response.

Just a technical clarification:

> I don't think that using a GPL incompatible KPart in a GPL application
> is a problem. It may be at the corner case, but this is more like
> writing a GPL frontend to a non-GPL application.

I believe the problem is that the KPart is essentially dlopened, which
means it is considered an extension of the larger program (in this case,
quanta).

  http://www.fsf.org/licensing/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLAndPlugins

> Using the Cervisia DCOP services which requires inclusion and link
> against it might be  real problem though,

If I understand DCOP correctly, this is not a problem since the
cvsservice and quanta run as separate programs, merely communicating
through some form of socket-based mechanism.  At any rate, it wouldn't
be a problem anyway since the cvsservice (both the server and the client
library) are LGPLed (unlike the cervisia kpart).

Ben.

(Fixing the kdevelop-devel address also, which was incorrect in my
initial post.)