List:       kdevelop-devel
Subject:    Re: Fw: / Re: Restructuring the Quanta module
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () freemail ! hu>
Date:       2004-02-01 6:44:18

Hi,

On Sunday 01 February 2004 02:35, Sascha Cunz wrote:
> Hi Andras,
>
> you've recently written a message to kde-core-devel, containing amongst
> other
>
> things, this:
> >  We thought that for 3.3/4.0 it's time to restructure a little the Quanta
> > module. [...] More such apps would come here, like a real PHP
> > debugger. [...]
>
> KDevelop currently has still a quite a big lack in things related to PHP
> scripts. Basicly, we provide scripting support for PHP, but it is not in a
> state that i'd call "useable". We are lacking:
>
>   - A nice PHP Parser. The one we currently have works with some simple
>     regexes and there are known issues of that crashing. And will not be
>     compatible with PHP5 as it ain't maintained currently.
>   - A manager for PHP projects.
>   - A debugger for PHP projects ( Posibily a debugger that is so generic
> that it can debug any scripting application ?!? )
>
> So, if you're planning on things like a PHP Debugger, could you please
> consider making it at least so generic, that we might benefit from it too?

Actually there are two debuggers we are talking about: XDebug and Gubed and
according to the author, the latter has a gdb mode, so it should be easy for
you to use in KDevelop. None of the two will be so tightly integrated in
Quanta that they are not usable for other applications. I don't know who
wrote the first (I didn't investigated, just heard about it), but the latter
is developed by Linus McCabe <Linus@mccabe.nu>. He wrote once:
"
After a quick browse of the XDebug site, it seems the major differences
between XDebug and Gubed is that XDebug is more geared towards profiling and
debug output whereas Gubed is more geared towards single stepping and
interactively debugging a script."

> Here are some features, that i'd like to have in a "real" PHP Debugger:
>
>   - Debugging stand-alone scripts. That means, ones which are aimed to be
>     called interactively via a shell instead of through a web server.
>
>   - Integration into PHP's concept of "resources". Which is basicly: A PHP
>     extentions registers a resource type and then creates resources of that
>     type which can be stored in ZEND's hashes, thus be assigned to php
>     variables. Examples are:
>       $res = mysql_query( ... ); or
>       $im = image_create( ... );
>     A good PHP Debugger should have a mechanism to work with plugins, that
> can display those resources in a human understandable way. In case of an
> SQL Query this would probably mean the columns and rows displayed in a
> grid. And in case of a image, it would probably be the image itself, maybe
> it's color space or some other information about it.
>
> As i'm personally interested in having a good and free debugger for PHP,
> i'd like to contribute to it, if someone starts creating a nice concept ;)

Google a little and contact Linus (he is on the quanta-devel@ list, but better
contact him directly). I'm sure we can profit of what he done.

Andras

> Cheers Sascha

- --