On March 6, 2002 01:35 pm, Roland Krause wrote: > > 4. release policy after KDevelop-2.1 (F@lk Brettschneider) > > I was going to hold back on this until we have a release since we > should focus now on fixing bugs. > > Anyway, here are my personal plans for KDevelop KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH after > the release of KDE-3. > > KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH is about 90% converted to use KAction and KStdAction, > thus making it compliant with other KDE-3 parts. The menu is completely > based on KActions. I am working on the toolbars which is mostly editing > the kdevelopui.rc file and I have decided to discard the current > statusbar code and replace it with gideon's statusbar. > > KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH is also theoretically ready to use gideon plugins. As > a first candidate for a backport of a gideon plugin I looked at the > gideon tools, since that is real easy to implement and doesnt really > use any internal datastructure. > > Therefore I have made a little development outline for myself: > > 1 Finish up all KAction work. > 2 Move docViewManager into it's own directory. > Then replace/enhance it with Kate documentManager and viewManager. > 3 Use gideon statusbar, throw out current code. > 4 Port gideon's or katex's plugin/part manager. > 5 Create directories for gideon plugins in cvs and port one or two > gideon parts/plugins. I've thought of the project manager and the > build system, since they both really suck in KDevelop-2. > 6 Improve kate part integration. > 7 There was something here that I cant remember... > > So far this is just what I am going to do for myself, I know, a few > people here are going to stay on the KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH also. For all of > us that would like to have a stable and working KDevelop and at the > same time do not want to loose work they invested in gideon I want to > propose the following. > > Lets take a close look at all gideon parts and plugins and sort them in > one of three categories as follows: > > "core parts" > These are parts that KDevelop will not work without. They are mandatory > and they are loaded immediately after the program is started and are > guaranteed to be there. I.e. other parts/plugins can rely on these > parts being there. E.g. the "kate editor part" is a "core part" so is > the "KHTML part". All developers are in charge and maintain core parts. > The APIs of core parts are well documented. > > "supported parts" > These are parts that can be configured to load, they can be unloaded > while the program is running and they can be exchanged for > alternatives. No other plugins/parts should depend on them. E.g. the > "API doc part" could be a supported part. One or more developers are > repsonsible for maintenance of a "supported part". API's of "supported > parts" are documented. > > "usupported parts" > These are all parts for which we have source code and that wont fall > into the other categories. Also "beta" plugins/parts can go in here. > > Then lets take a close look at existing KDevelop funtionality, much of > which has been continuously improved with literally hundreds of patches > over the last year and lets take things one by one and integrate with > each other. > > Roland I agree with that. Something that I think will be usefull is to build gideon parts as a standalone project. I'm looking to add this, along with my palm dev support. Mathieu -- Graduate students and most professors are no smarter than undergrads. They're just older. _______________________________________________ Kdevelop-devel mailing list Kdevelop-devel@barney.cs.uni-potsdam.de http://barney.cs.uni-potsdam.de/mailman/listinfo/kdevelop-devel