List:       kdevelop-devel
Subject:    emacs part and QXEmbed
From:       Marcus Gruendler <runner () tamalin ! de>
Date:       2001-09-15 15:20:49

Hi there,

Two weeks ago, I posted a patch for gideon on the kdevelop list, that \
enabled  the use of emacs as the editor for gideon. This emacs KPart simply \
started  emacs and controlled it via the gnuclient program.

But there are some things I didn't like about it. First of all, emacs \
wasn't  embedded into gideon. So, whenever I edit a text in emacs, emacs \
has to get  the focus. When I want to use some gideon functionality, I must \
switch back  to gideon, which hides the emacs window.

So I decided to embed emacs into a Qt widget. Ralf pointed me to the \
QXEmbed  class which does this job. While this works fine for a plain KDE \
application,  I cannot make it work as a gideon editor-part.

Whenever a document is opened, emacs starts up and when it gets embedded \
into  the qxembed widget it disappears and no emacs is visible anymore. \
Why? I  replaced the qxembed widget by a QMultiLineEdit widget and left all \
other  code the same. Then it worked.

So my questions are:

* Has anyone experience with the QXEmbed class?
* Is this class buggy/unfinished?
* Has anyone tried to embed an X application into a widget yet?

Thanks for any help, Marcus

-
to unsubscribe from this list send an email to \
kdevelop-devel-request@kdevelop.org with the following body: unsubscribe \
»your-email-address«