List:       kdevelop
Subject:    Re: Annoying bugs [was KDevelop vs KDE Studio]
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-08-16 17:07:44

On Thursday, 16. August 2001 20:45, you wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2001, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > a) when you're not confident with kdevelop, tell us what bugs you. We are
> > respecting the wishes of our users and are trying our best to accomplish
> > them as soon as possible.
>
> Well, you asked for it :)
Hehe :))

> a) The tree view collapses everytime it needs to be updated.
Yes, I agree that's annoying. There's no but here except that noone took care
of that as other things seemed to be more annoying :) I guess with HEAD's
Gideon this is solved but we will try to prevent such things before they slip
in there :)

> Is it not possible to keep the tree views expanded while updating them? (I
> know Cervisia does this for instance). This goes for both the Files tree
> and the Class tree. In combination with the fact that you cannot do
> multiple selections this becomes EXTREMELY annoying. If I wanna commit 7
> files in a directory I have to right click, select commit, then search
> through and reexpand the tree myself, and on to the next file....
> So I don't, but use cervisia for CVS instead.
>
> I haven't looked at the KDevelop code myself, but surely this can't be too
> much work to implement? If so, jam it into 2.0.1 :)
Now, I don't quite have the time right now and I don't know about Falk. We're
currently moving all our development to focus on HEAD's version for 3.0 which
is already promising and we would like a deployment as early as possible in
the development cycle, so feel free to give it a go with KDE 2.2. We will
provide a test package soon so you can give us your feedback.

Regarding the collapsing bug - I would be *very* thankful if someone would
have a look at it and send in a fix that we could include into 2.0.1. Any
volunteers ? :)

> b) The code parser does not handle templates very well.
>
> Primary templates are recognized in 2.0, but partial specializations still
> cause trouble. For instance:
>
> template<int N, class T1> A;
> template<class T1> A<1,T1>;
> template<class T1> A<2,T1>;
>
> etc. does not look good in the class tree.
Well, we're obviously not making enough use of templates in kdevelop it seems
:)  Please feel free to have a look at that and if you'd come up with a fix,
I would also be very thankful for that. Other than that, that needs to be
tested in KDevelop 3.0 /gideon (HEAD) as well, the project stuff, parser and
debugger are working already so that would be a chance to do an early fix
here.

> c) Go to declaration/definition in the class view still not quite working.
>
> At least for me this makes the class tree close to unusable...
Hmm...works here. It just gets a bit out of sync when the file changed and it
needs reparsing. A clever classtree database update method would help here.

> d) Cumbersome to close files in "Tab Bar Mode"
>
> Why is there no right click menu here? Too much work going all the way to
> the Window menu to close a file..
Falk should comment on this, I think it should be possible to use a rmb menu
for that.

> Actually I miss the option of the good ole 1.4 Header/Cpp/Doc tabs...
Well, I liked that a lot as well. Sigh :)

Thanks for your contribution!  (hehe and I hope I can say "Thanks for the
fixes!" in a week and have you as the outstanding member of the kdevelop list
:))

Ralf

> So, there's my 2 cents. Any1 else has opinions on this?

Ralf Nolden
nolden@kde.org

The K Desktop Environment	The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org		http://www.kdevelop.org

-
to unsubscribe from this list send an email to kdevelop-request@kdevelop.org with the following body:
unsubscribe »your-email-address«