List:       kdevelop
Subject:    Re: Developing Proprietary Software with KDevelop
From:       Ralf Nolden <nolden () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-08 8:40:25

Eric Sorensen wrote:

Hi Eric,

(didn't read the other replies to this yet)
Everyone and all entities are free to use KDevelop. The generated Code
can be put under all licenses you wish. Therefore, the project generator
has the fields for adding your own copyright notice to the generated
files, but to make things simpler and to have an example, the default is
a GPL license notice. So you can add your license notice there.

When it comes to actually editing etc. your program, using KDevelop is
just as using any other editor, it's a program that is GPL that is
intended for use and doesn't have any implications on what you use it
for. So you can write commercial/closed software with it despite the
fact that KDevelop itself is GPL.

Towards using KDE functions or any other stuff of free software, you
only have to watch the licensing notes on the libraries you're going to
use. So for commercial development of KDE/Qt applications you only need
a professional license from Trolltech. The KDE libraries itself are LGPL
which means you can use the function calls and link your program to the
KDE libraries. This counts for the kdelibs libraries, the kdebase
libraries (konqueror and kcontrol etc.) and the koffice libraries (for
creating koffice apps).

I hope this reply covered all situations that may arise when approaching
commercial software development with KDevelop.

Regards,

Ralf
> =

> Hello,
> =

> I've been following this list since Feb 2000 (and still have all the ma=
ils
> since then ).  I am considering writing a proprietary program for resel=
> which will (ofcourse) run on Linux boxes and eventually even under Micr=
osofts
> Windows.  Now comes the time to choose the appropriate IDE.
> =

> My question is, can I use KDevelop to program proprietary software.  If=
 it is
> not impossible then what areas such as KDE Libraries, Automake, Autocon=
fig..
> would I have to refrain from using to keep from violating the GNU Licen=
se?  I
> would of course be purchasing a developers license for Qt.
> =

> I could swear that this topic had been covered once a very long time ag=
o and
> the conclusion was that it wan NOT possible to use KDevelop to program
> software for resell (just for the personal or in-company use).  I searc=
hed
> all my EMails but couldn't find anything conclusive.
> =

> My other option would be to Purchase Borlands Kylix.  It would be inter=
estig
> being able to use the same source codes for a Windows application but t=
he
> staggering prices....  I realy like KDevelops price !!  I also want to =
start
> programming for real in C/C++ (currently am stuck with VB).
> =

> I would appreciate hearing anyones ( preferably qualified ) opinion on =
this
> subject.
> =

>                                         Eric Sorensen
> =

> -
> to unsubscribe from this list send an email to kdevelop-request@kdevelo=
p.org with the following body:
> unsubscribe =BByour-email-address=AB

-- =

Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden@kde.org