List:       kdevelop
Subject:    Re: how to turn off -fno-exceptions in kdevelop
From:       Scott Manson <Maniac () Alltel ! net>
Date:       2001-03-13 3:45:23

On Monday 12 March 2001 06:44 pm, you wrote:
> Hi Ralph,

> Agree, but probably due to a lack of information I still don't see a
> reason for diabling exceptions or 64 bit int arithmetic ny default. I

I have to jump into this thread ANY default options that are set are \
probably  set for a majority of platforms/users not for the obscure \
user/platform. I  know that the world is not a democracy and this is a \
comprise trying to keep  as many people/platforms happy as possible, while \
not "displeasing " too many  other people.  I am sorry you fall in to the \
latter catagory but if we  changed the defaults to your specifications we \
could possibly displease a lot  more people than just you.

> assume that you guys don't fiddle with compiler switches without having
> good reasons to do so. So where's the actual problem with enabled
> exceptions or 'long long' stuff? Reentrancy? I personally use the GNU
> compiler among other stuff as a cross development system for 68K embedded
> targets and I switched off exceptions as they make (along with rtti) the
> code a lot larger. That's an issue for systems with a very limited amount
> of ROM space but I don't think it's an issue for a standard "bloated"
> workstation with tons of RAM and harddisk space...
Sorry I never have enough RAM and anything that makes "bloated" software
the default is IMHO wrong. A developer should be forced to develop NOT
on a super-charged platform with lots and lots of ram but on a lower end
platform (more in line with the majority of the platforms out there.)
I could write the greatest IDE environment out there and it runs FAST on my
box with 2 Gig Ram and dual procs but is next to impossible to run on \
anything less. If you need specialized options for your platform then \
accept the fact  that you are going to have to do a little more work.  \
Compiler switches are a  minor inconvience; try getting any other \
platform's switches "tweaked" and  you might find that this inconvience is \
not only minor but trivial.

--
Maniac@alltel.net 40° 37' 9" N, 96° 57' 24" W
A single tasking guy in multi tasking world

-