List:       kdevelop
Subject:    Language issue proposal
From:       Ralf Nolden <Ralf.Nolden () post ! rwth-aachen ! de>
Date:       1999-05-28 13:44:43

Hi all participants, co-developers, bugfixers, translators and
contributors of the KDevelop project !

Due to the amount of flame mails covering a really unnecessary topic of
language use, I want to make some things clear as by some mails it seems
to me this is getting a bit too serious:

a) a lot of paticipants are german
b) a lot of other participants are not speaking german
c) the KDevelop project, as all KDE projects, is using the english
language as its first development and developer-communication language

d) It doesn't matter what language you speak- c) counts and all
participants should stick to that. This is also made clear at least in
the KDevelop User Manual where this mailinglist is adressed.

e) If people write in other languages than english it's a bad thing for
participants not able to read this language, but in no way (to my mind)
a reason to quit any participation, especially as a lot of participants
are obviously studying but seem to lack a major human principle:
tolerance to other's mistakes or misunderstanding or at least a friendly
way to cope with this issues.

So, finally, I'm calling all participants to be patient and please don't
quarrel too much if any participant uses his native language different
from english. We have no means to do anything if this happens, and it
wouldn't do much good to start flaming at each other. The work on the
project is what we are supposed to do and to help each other; all of
this is done for free.

If any participant quits his account on the mailinglist- sad for the
list, but we can't change it. If it is for reasons that other
participants use a different language, this seems to be rediculous to my
mind and I feel even more sad for those who leave than for the
mailinglist.

This project is international and uses english as explained above, so
please stick to this. There's no way around this fact.

Hoping this is the last word about using other languages than english,

Ralf