List:       kdevelop
Subject:    Re: version control?
From:       Bernd Gehrmann <bernd () physik ! hu-berlin ! de>
Date:       1999-05-01 8:31:24

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999 Gregg Jensen wrote:
>So,
>with that in mind, what are the plans for version control (RCS/CVS
>integration)?  Or is it there and I just haven't pushed the right buttons?

This seems to become a FAQ... the answer is: there will be cvs integration,
it's just a matter of time. I want to bring my standalone cvs frontend
in a usable state before I do anything on KDevelop. I have a fulltime job
and can code nontrivial things only on the weekends. Now, the weather on the
last weekend was just too good to sit down in front of the computer, and
<looking out of the window> it seems to be even excellent today. So be
patient.

FYI: What I have is a file browser which gives access to frontends to
log, diff, annotate; a dialog for resolving conflicts; a dialog for commit.
the results of an update are visually reflected in the file browser.

Yesterday evening I have decided that 'cvs status' is crap (With multiple
arguments, it gives the absolute file names only on stderr which is not
possible to parse with a simple pipe; KProcess on the other hand is
asynchronous and requires a completely different implementation. Further-
more, it requires connection to the server). I will dump the parsing code
for it and parse CVS/Entries on startup. The next step will be to implement
.cvsignore correctly, otherwise the file browser looks to clumsy. After
that, I expect to have something useful :-)

IMO, making basic cvs functionality available in KDevelop is then an
easy task. About RCS: I don't know if anybody is using it for anything
else than single files, so I don't plan to implement that. If anybody
else is interested in integrating it, speak up. The same applies for
PRCS, which is in some respects far superior to CVS, but not as widely
known.

Bernd.