List:       kdevelop
Subject:    Some comments
From:       Bernd Gehrmann <bernd () physik ! hu-berlin ! de>
Date:       1999-04-18 16:37:32

Hi developpers,

some further comments:

1.) It would be nice if you would plug out your mouse and tried
to use all dialogs with the keyboard ;-) In other words: the keyboard
navigation in some dialogs is absolutely confusing. The most obvious
example is the "Add file to project" dialog. When I press Tab several
times, the focus jumps from one widget to the other in no predictible
way.

2.) About the tool menu configuration: I must enter the executable
name with its path. Then kdevelop cuts off the path name and checks
whether the program is in my $PATH. That's unlogical: if the path is
not used, why do I have to enter it in the first place? Another
problem: the executable seems to be called with an argument -caption.
Why?

3.) The "Autoconf" entry in the build menu shows "automake" as help
in the status line. A bit confusing, since both of them and some more
programs are executed...

4.) Translated strings should only have accelators if the original
string has one, and vice versa. For example, "Compile File" is not to
be translated as "Datei &compilieren" because this inserts a verbatim
"&" into the KKeyDialog.

5.) All menu entries that open a dialog should have '...' behind them,
e. g. Project - file properties.

BTW: The classbrowser is excellent, a real killer feature :-)
Just some minor details: It would be nice to assign "Goto declaration"
to the middle mouse button in the tree view. Furthermore, the context
menu for attributes does not offer "Goto declaration", instead the
menu item "Goto definition" goes to the declaration. I would also like
to see (as an option, otherwise the tree view may look to cluttered
most of the time) more information about methods, namely whether they
are 'static' or 'virtual'.

Bernd.