List:       kdevelop
Subject:    Re: CVS integration.
From:       Bernd Gehrmann <bernd () physik ! hu-berlin ! de>
Date:       1999-03-18 21:52:14

>Since I use Linux on my `workstation' and I don't have
>any other user accounts on this box, or similar, I think
>It's neat to start X as root, it speeds up a lot of things
>when logged in as root most of the time and it's not
>unsecure when there aren't any others who can login.

It _is_ unsecure. You seem to ignore that distinguishing
between user and administrator account is not only to
protect the system from access by people from outside,
but mainly to protect it from _yourself_. It's much
too easy to damage the system when you are running with
root privileges.

Wrt to kdevelop, I don't see why I it has any advantages
to work as root even if you start X as root.

Bernd.