List:       kdevelop
Subject:    problem with compiler option -frepo
From:       Eric Klumpp <klumpp () nerim ! fr>
Date:       2002-05-30 11:26:14

Hi,

I have a problem with the compiler option -frepo !

I use a lot of template classes, the compilation was long and the
execution slow, that's why I have tried to remove the implicite
templates. So doing I have used the compiler option -frepo, I had to add
files containing an explicit instantiation of each different templates,
and now all work : the compilation is faster, as the execution (40"
indeed of 4' for one treatment), and the execute file is bigger (7Mo
instead of 2Mo).

My problem is that the files "*.rpo" aren't removed with the distclean
process, and, when a source file has been modified, the compilation of
this source file replace the object file .o by the new one but not the
file .rpo, and this can make linker errors ("undefined reference
to...."). If I make a distclean and manually remove all .rpo files, the
problem is resolved, but this is not very usefull.

So is there a solution to remove the .rpo files with the distclean
process, and/or at the compilation process ?
Perhaps is there an other convenient solution for the templates than
using the -frepo compiler option ? I have already tried the option
-fno-implicit-templates, but there are some undefined references that I
haven't resolved. I also tried -fexternal-templates, but this seems to
imply the explicit instantiation of the Qt templates in the same time,
and I have troubles that's why I prefered to try the option -frepo.

Best regards,

Eric

-
to unsubscribe from this list send an email to kdevelop-request@kdevelop.org with the following body: