List:       kdevelop
Subject:    Re: Using different version control than CVS
From:       Harald Fernengel <harry () kdevelop ! org>
Date:       2002-05-28 23:49:40

Hi,

On Wednesday 29 May 2002 01:36, you wrote:
> Thanks Harry. I think I'll wait/go with Gideon. As of now, I see the cvs
> commands are integrated in the code (in parts/cvs). I think, moving the
> commands to the initialization file (kdeveloprc!!) may be a better idea.
> That way, the same plugin can be used (and extended) for other version
> control tools simply by changing the initialization file. I haven't written
> any KDE based code so far, but I think this would make a good start.

that could be pretty difficult since the calls can be quite different. If you
update HEAD you can see that I added support for the perforce version control
system and the submit method is quite complicated.

It can also get messy if someone decides to support more CVS features, it is
most likely that it will break all other VCSses.

If you look at the code you can see that you basically need 50-100 LOC to get
a VCS running, so I'm not sure whether a generic part will actually save work
or only complicate things up...

Best regards,
Harry

-