John White - 15.12.19, 21:52:44 CET: > On Sunday, December 15, 2019 1:45:25 AM PST Anders Lund wrote: [=E2=80=A6] > > Switching to pgsql is very simple - install it and change a single > > line in ~/.config/akonadi/akonadiserverrc: > > Driver=3DQPSQL > >=20 > > Before editing the file run > > $ akonadictl stop > >=20 > > and after > > $akonadictl start [=E2=80=A6] > I am thinking of switching to pgsql but am very nervous. I live in > kmail. Over the years I have tried several email clients and kmail, > with all its faults, is still the best. At least for pop3. I still use it with POP3 too. In case you use local filters which I bet you do, you need to reconfigure=20 their destination folders after switching the database. As the filters=20 reference the destination folders by RID numbers which are dependent on=20 the database contents. Nowaways I believe KMail specially asks about=20 reconfiguring them on first start. But there is even an easier way: Export filters before the switch. They=20 get exported by name of destination folder. Then remove them from KMail.=20 Then do the switch. And import them back into KMail. Of course before making the switch, make a backup of everything! > If pgsql will solve some of the existing problems, and I know exactly > what to do in order to make the switch, and if I won't lose ability > to search my old kmail files, I want to try it. But I don't > understand why, if pgsql is better, the developers don't use it. I Well, PostgreSQL needs some manual upgrade step when moving from one=20 major version to the next one. These have not yet been automated for=20 Akonadi. They are documented tough. https://userbase.kde.org/Akonadi/Postgres_update Still need to do it to move from PostgreSQL 11 to 12. > don't understand why, if akonadi is "junk", why the kmail developers > still use it. It there anyway to get some kind of consensus as to > which is better and whether switching causes other problems? Is > there some way to get some input from the developers concerning this > matter? Daniel Vr=C3=A1til, one of the KDEPIM developers, uses PostgreSQL himself. In my experience things go much smoother with PostgreSQL. Still I also agree that Akonadi needs more stability and robustness work=20 and hope that some day Daniel or someone else completes with the rewrite=20 of the search and indexing infrastructure as I bet it will be quite an=20 improvement. =2D-=20 Martin