List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: where to submit feature request for kmail?
From:       "E. Hakan Duran" <ehakanduran () gmail ! com>
Date:       2018-04-16 5:52:54

I actually liked the archivemail python script very much (thanks to Werner Joss!). It \
does what it was designed for. It connects to the IMAP server (gmail, hotmail, etc.) \
downloads the email according to the user-set date criteria (older than x days or \
older than the date of YYYY-MM-DD), deletes them form the server gracefully, \
therefore decreasing one's online footprint significantly (more on this later). Once \
the initial archiving is done, it should ideally set as a daily cron job to maintain \
a small online footprint. I discovered a couple of things I would like to share:

- It is a pyhton 2.7 script (not 3.6), and last update was done around 2011 I \
believe. Not sure how much longer it would stay functional. I wish I had the \
                expertise to maintain it.
- Some IMAP servers (e.g. Gmail) would disconnect after 10 minutes, although \
archivemail is still fetching emails. To prevent that I was able to modify the script \
a little bit to have it reconnect to the server should disconnection occur. I was \
                very proud of myself although it is probably an ugly solution in \
                technical terms :).
- Gmail IMAP is different than standard IMAP. Emails in the All Mail folder will not \
be deleted by archivemail with default settings. To change this behavior, one should \
change Gmail settings on the web interface (set auto-expunge off, and move the \
message to thrash upon deleting, not to All Mail), see image link \
(http://tinypic.com/r/168y5ft/9). Looks like google doesn't want any of our emails \
                deleted, ever.
- As somebody already has mantioned, this is not the way for ideal privacy. I believe \
these emails probably have already been scanned, and there may be another copy of \
them saved for later, even when we think they were deleted forever. My intention is \
to gradually move away from Gmail, this is merely the first step of it. I am aware \
that Google already has gigabytes of data on me and my family. It may be impossible \
to completely "resect" it from our lives. Even after a success against google, there \
are so many other sources of concern, ISPs, cell phone providers, even VPN providers \
IMHO... I just want to have a humble personal stance for whatever it is worth, rather \
than complete surrender.

Thank you for your contribution to this thread.

Hakan