List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: Goodbye for now, kmail
From:       "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair () gmail ! com>
Date:       2017-05-03 6:33:29

On 05/03/17 00:24, Wilhelm Boltz wrote:
> Hi Anders,
>

> Am Montag, 1. Mai 2017, 17:48:51 CEST schrieb Anders Lund:
>
>> Today I finally elected to install thunderbird, and remove my mail
>
>> accounts from akonadi. In the current state, kmail is simply not usable
>
>> with my IMAP account, it sends unreasonable amounts of time updating,
>
>> and chokes in the process. I had to restart it all the time, and most
>
>> often, that would not even work, I can't get to read my mail using kmail
>
>> any longer. [...]
>
>> I will continue to use other parts of the kdepim suite for now, mainly
>
>> korganizer, in my experience bothe calendars and contacts works fine
>
>> with akonadi.
>

> a pretty long while ago I installed my own imap server on my desktop
> (dovecot + fetchmail) and do all filtering on the server using sieve.
> Doing it that way makes it very easy to switch from one mua to another
> one without moving one mail. In Kmail you can't move messages from INBOX
> to other folders (in case it is not done by sieve filter), so sometimes
> claws (or evolution) is in use to move them to other folders. Apart from
> that kmail works well for me.

Generally speaking, should user have to install "middleware" filters to
get things working? In my distro, Kubuntu, Kmail is broken to pieces
since Plasma5 and Akonadi. I have given up on distro lists, I am tired
of recreating filters whith any upgrade, search is not working. I get
"invisible" mails that reocurr, Sudeenly 1 monrning droves of mail
drrops in, some them urgent. Can devs just dump Akonadi the whole
concept of having database cache instead of plain simple maildir folders