List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] rant
From:       René_J.V. Bertin <rjvbertin () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-01-29 11:43:50

On Thursday January 29 2015 11:43:48 O. Sinclair wrote:

> I have compiled a few things before so I am wondering where I find the
> mentioned code? Currently I am on Kubuntu 14.10 KDE 4.14.2 with Akonadi
> 1.13.0-ubuntu2 according to package manager

Oh, that makes things a lot simpler if you're on Ubuntu. Read up on how to create and \
use your own PPAs on launchpad and then get the sources from my PPA to which I'll \
link below. Using launchpad has the advantage that you only have to bother with the \
packaging, not with the actual building. If you don't want to bother with things like \
public keys however, you can follow these rough guidelines, many of which are also \
required for the PPA approach:

%> sudo apt-get install dpkg-dev devscripts
%> sudo apt-get build-dep akonadi

Next, go to https://launchpad.net/~rjvbertin/+archive/ubuntu/kdepim/+packages , click \
on the akonadi package, and get the akonadi*.orig.tar.xz and akonadi*.debian.tar.gz \
files. Unpack the first in a new directory, chdir into the akonadi directory, and \
unpack the second (.debian.tar.gz) archive. Open debian/changelog and replace \
"trusty" with "utopic" on the 1st line. Or better, do %> dch -v 1.13.0-ubuntu2-ppa1
and ensure the 1st line of the new changelog entry says Utopic where the previous \
entry says Trusty. Next, open debian/control and remove clang-3.5 from the build \
dependencies, then edit debian/rules to remove the 4 lines starting with "export CC=" \
(or else you'll have to install clang 3.5). Then, simply enter

%> dpkg-buildpackage -d -us -uc -b [-jN]

(where N is the number of CPU cores in your system) and wait for the build to finish. \
That will give you a number of .deb packages in the parent directory. Change to that \
parent directory (the new directory you created above), and do %> akonadictl stop
%> sudo dpkg -i *.deb
%> akonadictl start

That's all there should be to it. If I forgot something it'll probably become \
apparent and sufficiently self-explanatory to figure it out, otherwise we're here to \
help.

NB: this does suppose that Trusty (14.04) and Utopic (14.10) have the same akonadi \
package structure, but I think that's the case. Using the dch approach means that a \
future official akonadi update should replace the packages you just installed.

If you chose to use the PPA approach, you'll take almost the same steps, but you'll \
have to use dch. You skip the dkpg-buildpackage as well as the dpkg -i step, of \
course; you'll get the updated packages through the usual updating mechanism after \
you added your PPA to your software sources (and launchpad finished building \
successfully).

Cheers,
R.