List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Filter on language
From:       "David Jarvie" <djarvie () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-11-19 10:09:48

On Sat, November 17, 2012 7:16 pm, Henk van Velden wrote:
> On Saturday 17 November 2012 19:48:32 Martin Steigerwald wrote:
>> Am Donnerstag, 15. November 2012 schrieb ianseeks:
>> > Hi
>>
>> Hi Ian,
>>
>> > I'm getting loads of spam from a japanese sites and i'm now bored of
>> > updating my junk filters every day .
>> >
>> > Is there a way i can filter out emails that are using asian language
>> > fonts?
>
> As the only character encoding that is (going to be) used by modern
> systems is
> UTF-8 encoded Unicode, filtering on encoding (like the several ISO 8859
> versions) is not going to work.
>
> @ianseeks: though I understand what you want, talking about Asian fonts
> will
> not help in understanding the problem. A font is only a small picture
> generated to make visable to a human being what a character code is. It is
> about the Unicode codes you get in the mail. As these are in groups (e.g.
> Japanese Hiragana is 3040 - 309F) a filter could decide that many
> characters
> within specific ranges in a mail could rate that mail as spam. But (as all
> spam filtering) it is no exact science.

I use the attached procmail recipes to filter out Asian and other fonts,
which has worked well for me. (Note that I first started using this a few
years ago, and it's possible that the spamassassin filter provided by my
mail provider might these days filter out quite a bit also (e.g. UTF-8
encoded spam)). If you don't use procmail, you should be able to convert
the recipes to suit your own filter syntax without too much difficulty.
See "man 5 procmailrc" if you don't understand some of the procmail
syntax.

--
David Jarvie.
KDE developer.