List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Akonadi Segmentation Fault (11)
From:       Thomas Tanghus Olsen <thomas () tanghus ! net>
Date:       2012-01-26 21:33:04

On Thursday 26 January 2012 11:31 Chris Glasoe wrote:

> What causes this error and how can it be corrected?
>
> Executable: akonadi_imap_resource PID: 14016 Signal: Segmentation fault (11)
>
> I am using Open SuSE 12.1 KDE 4.7.4 release 5
>
> Where is the best place to look for fixes and work arounds for Kmail or
Akonadi issues?

> I need to get back to my real job.
>
> thank you for any help.

And later:

> I have started to loose sight of emails that were displayed yesterday. OK I
have lost sight of all emails in one IMAP account that were displayed earlier
today. I have another IMAP account that continues to receive an error that
includes the following:

> KCrash: Application 'akonadi_imap_resource' crashing...
> KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/lib64/kde4/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
> sock_file=/home/chrisg/.kde4/socket-linux-5xzp.site/kdeinit4__0
> void Akonadi::NotificationSource::serviceUnregistered(const QString&)
Notification source "akonadi_imap_resource_11" now serving: ()
> void Akonadi::NotificationSource::unsubscribe() "akonadi_imap_resource_11"
> Lost connection to resource
"org.freedesktop.Akonadi.Resource.akonadi_imap_resource_11" , discarding
cached interface
> QSocketNotifier: Invalid socket 14 and type 'Read', disabling...
> The stream parser raised an exception: Unable to read more data
> ProcessControl: Application '/usr/bin/akonadi_imap_resource' returned with
exit code 253 (Unknown error)
> Database "akonadi" opened using driver "QMYSQL"
>
> As well as telling me that there is a segmentation fault (11).
>
> What does that mean?!?
>
> How do you determine that something is setup wrong? or broken? And if
broken,what is broken and where?

The "discarding cached interface" could mean that the cache is corrupt and
causing the backend to crash.

Earlier today there was a suggestion on how to totally clear the cache.

http://lists.kde.org/?l=kdepim-users&m=132755055415117&w=2

Before you do that you have to log out of KDE, go to the text console - Ctrl-
Alt-F1 - log in using your normal username and password and run the commands:

rm -rf /var/tmp/kdecache-$USER
rm -rf /tmp/ksocket-$USER
rm -rf /tmp/kde-$USER

Restart the X server by running:

sudo service kdm restart

If that doesn't bring you to the log in form just reboot with Ctrl-Alt_Delete.

--
Med venlig hilsen / Best Regards

Thomas Tanghus Olsen