List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] dimap,
From:       Martin Steigerwald <Martin () lichtvoll ! de>
Date:       2012-01-04 10:29:10

Am Mittwoch, 4. Januar 2012 schrieb Dirk Sarpe:
> Hi and happy new year to everybody :)

Hi Dirk!

A happy new year to you and all other readers here too!

> It seems that all mails of all DIMAP accounts are in
> /.local/share/akonadi/file_db_data/
> What I find disturbing, there is no folder structure whatsoever in this
> folder, just the plain files. How is one supposed to make a sensible
> backup of this?

You need this directory *and* the akonadi database which has the =

information which mail is stored in which file. For searching you also need =

the Nepomuk index.

I just rsync /home completely after having stopped Akonadi before. I am =

not using KDEPIM 2 yet, but I am quite sure that this should work. If you =

use a system-wide database, you better stop that one, too.

Another approach would be to mysqldump the database and rsync the =

file_db_data.

In case you do not want to stop Akonadi and database during the complete =

backup time you=B4d need some kind of snapshot to do this from so that =

database and files are in sync for the backup.

For own Nepomuk data like annotations, tags and such there is a backup =

utility including schedule settings under systemsettings / desktop search. =

All the data from the index files or mails can be rebuild and is not stored =

in that backup.

It would probably be good to have such a kind of backup for Akonadi as =

well to quicken recovery times on data loss.

That said all of this data should be rebuildable from the remote IMAP =

account in case of loss.

Ciao,
-- =