List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] KMail SLLLLOOOOOWWWWWW
From:       Werner Joss <werner () hoernerfranzracing ! de>
Date:       2011-11-24 21:14:33

On Thursday 24 November 2011 21:50:00 Andras Mantia wrote:
> This is sad to hear, but of course I can accept the decisions (and with
> Quanta I can perfectly understand ;) - sorry for not taking it forward).

no need for apologize, Andras,
I appreciate all the work you put in quanta in the past.
in the end, you needed a job to live from, with your family.
and, as I see, this is still one where you can work on kde, thus directly =

taking profit from what you did, then, and (hopefully) have fun.
all ok, then :)

> However, if you can, give some chance to KDE4 in the future, especially
> with KDE 4.8. I don't promise everything will =A0be fixed, but it improves
> nicely. I had my share of Akonadi/KMail/Nepomuk bashing (just ask my
> coworkers), but still use it (well, except nepomuk) and I have to say that
> after the initial hops of getting it working, it does the job just as well
> as the old KMail. Of course the initial hops is not acceptable for a
> regular user, I know...

I'm not complaining about new developments like kde4/akonadi/nepomuk not =

working 'out of the box' as expected.
I know things like that need their time to mature. this is quite normal.
but I'm still not convinced the whole direction taken was the right decisio=
n.
it just seems like overkill to me to e.g. have a database server running on=
 a =

simple single user desktop system just to be able to share adresses/emails =

between applications (which is a good thing, though).
so I'm back to a system I know well, which I can configure/backup/maintain =

easily, as everything is based on simple text files, _not_ binary blobs whi=
ch =

can only be deleted when inconsitent/corrupted.
speed/responsiveness is another issue.
so, for the time beeing, I have decided to go another way.
I'll try kde4 again, some more time in the future, though.
keep up your work improving it :)

werner