List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    [kdepim-users] Re: [opensuse] Kmail preview pane
From:       Ingo =?utf-8?q?Kl=C3=B6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2011-04-03 9:11:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday 03 April 2011, Stan Goodman wrote:
> On Sunday, April 03, 2011 12:28:38 AM Ingo Klöcker Ingo Klöcker
>
> <kloecker@kde.org> wrote:
> > On Saturday 02 April 2011, Stan Goodman wrote:
> > > I am using this laptop for mail for the first time since
> > > installing 11.4. In Configure Kmail > Appearance, I have checked
> > > "Show message preview pane beneath message,
> >
> > Hmm. There is a "list" missing after message. The option reads
> > "Show the message preview pane below the message list".
> >
> > > but it doesn't show anywhere.
> > >
> > > Checking "Show message preview pane at the side" causes the
> > > Message listpane to expand and  replace the Message pane
> > > completely, and a new pane to open at the right, in which the
> > > MESSAGE is displayed. The preview information still appears
> > > nowhere.
> >
> > Either you misunderstand the option or I misunderstand your
> > message. You write "a new pane to open at the right, in which the
> > MESSAGE is displayed". This pane is the preview pane. What do you
> > expect the preview pane to be? Are you looking for the old
> > "message structure pane"?
>
> It is a given that it is I that misunderstands.
>
> I am indeed looking for the message structure pane, or whatever
> current feature it is that offers the same functionality.

Unfortunately, this feature has been removed because it was assumed to
be useless and confusing to users.

> > > In other words, there is no way that I can see a preview,
> >
> > What kind of preview do you expect? Would it be better if the
> > "preview pane" would be called "message pane"?
>
> I had concluded from Bob's response that "preview pane" is a new
> synonym for "message pane". I do not intend to quibble over
> nomenclature, but yes, that would have been clearer. As it is, the
> message is now its own preview (or a preview of what?), which does
> not, to me, add clarity -- even if, for some reason, that pane needs
> to have two names.

It was always called preview pane. I think the name originated from some
feature requests which asked for (optional) removal of the message pane
in the main window. Somehow the message pane in the main window got
called "preview pane" to differentiate it from the message viewer you
get by double clicking on a message or by pressing Enter.

To me the name "preview pane" never made any sense because the message
pane is a fully featured message viewer and not some crippled preview.
The only difference to the separate message viewer is that the "preview"
pane is smaller.

> > > and no way
> > > that I can view any HTML attachment, which I sometimes need to
> > > do. How to make a more rational layout?
> >
> > I don't understand what you want to achieve. What kind of HTML
> > attachment do you want to view? All attachments should be listed.
> > If you want to show an HTML message as HTML then you need to
> > enable "Prefer HTML to Plain Text" for the folder temporarily.
>
> I despise HTML in email, but I receive a lot of messages (e.g. blogs
> with a more complex structure) that are not simple plain-text, but
> contain HTML and images. And the HTML often has links that are not
> available in the plain text.

I also receive the odd HTML message I cannot read as plain text. As I
wrote above I temporarily enable HTML for viewing those messages.

> I often save the HTML of such messages,
> which I do not see how to do now.

This worked? Amazing. It's always surprising to see features used in
ways you, the developer, didn't think of. :-)

With the removal of the message structure pane I also don't see how to
do this now.

> I have several such in my inbox
> now, which I know to have a complex structure, and I see no
> indication of this on my screen. Where is it that I can see the
> structure, and access the HTML copy of the message?

Nowhere unfortunately. Sorry.

Regards,
Ingo