List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] ONLY start KMail?
From:       Art Alexion <art.alexion () verizon ! net>
Date:       2010-05-13 12:01:28

On Thursday 13 May 2010 06:50:54 John Aldrich wrote:
> To me, anything NOT specifically required for sending/receiving/reading
> email is crap. That means, that calendaring, etc is junk to me as it is
> not  directly related to sending/receiving/reading email. Why can we not
> have a "KMail-Lite" as well as a full-featured "Outlook Replacement." To
> go with a Microsoft-centric example, not everyone wants Outlook. Some
> folks are quite happy with Outlook Express. It doesn't have all the bells
> and whistles that Outlook does, but it does email just fine. It also does
> newsgroups, but I don't  know of anyone who ever used that feature. :-)

I think this is nonsense.  I use kmail, and never kontact.  But to effectively
use kmail, I also use kaddressbook.  As I understand it, Kmail requires
kaddressbook, and kaddressbook requires akonadi/nepomuk for contact indexing
and lookups.  Unless you never send mail, or have all of your contact's
addresses memorized and don't mind manually typing them every time, you
probably use kaddressbook as well -- even if you don't explicitly start the
kaddressbook gui.

--
Art Alexion