List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Clicking on new mail causes Index problem
From:       r bartlett <techwritebos () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2009-10-17 13:54:21

> On Friday 16 October 2009 21:15:41 Pablo Sanchez wrote:

> > So unlike Anne's experience, I find kmail to be very robust moving
> > huge chunks around.
> >
> Note that I did say that in the past I had found it necessary to limit the
> number.  I've had no problems for some time now, but can't swear as to how
> big a chunk I've moved recently.  At the time I had problems I resolved it by
> taking a known smaller number, say 50, then increasing it for each move until
> I found the number that was uncomfortable for kmail to handle.

Well, I think I may have solved (albeit the roundabout way) the problem:  I wiped out \
the .kde directory entirely and started over, using Kmail's "Import" feature instead \
of just copying the directories that were described in the (my post a few weeks ago) \
"what files should I backup?" post.  Anne, you made a very nice little page in the \
userbase about it.  However, I tried initially to just copy over the entire .kde \
directory.

So I think most of the issues were caused by small, system specific problems.

You were also right (I think) about the Mbox directory being the one that was \
corrupt.  Curiously, I seem to have had an Mbox directory _inside_ the folder \
structure of the Maildirs.  Not sure how I managed to do that, but if I'm \
understanding the description right, Maildirs appear in Kmail as separate folders \
inside the Local Folders file and Maildir folders are part of a connected tree?

In any case, Importing was able to get some (curiously, not all) of my folders and \
subfolders, as well as the big wonking Mbox directory.

Alas, the "Replied to", "Forwarded" and so on info it totally gone, it appears.  And \
the suggestion to make a filter is great but wouldn't work for whole directories \
where it's been years and I don't know if I replied to it or didn't.  (Probably did, \
but there's always that random email where you're like "I should have replied months \
ago!!!").  It's perfect for once in a while though, when I need to mark something \
replied.

Lastly, my addressbook and calendar info aren't there.  Just blank.  I thought I \
copied over the "korganizerrc" file and so on...are there other files that need to be \
copied too...data files?

As always, many thanks!