List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Problems POP-ing email
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-04-22 20:56:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 22 April 2009, John Aldrich wrote:
> I've been a long-time user of KMail, beginning around RH5, I think
> (that tells you how long ago THAT was!) This morning, for some
> strange reason, I was unable to retrieve emails via POP3.
>
> The exact error message is as follows: The process for the
> pop3://<mailserver> protocol died unexpectedly

Did you retry it a few times?

> I checked all the log files I could think of (/var/spool/mail/john,
> /var/log/messages) and found nothing to account for the problem.
>
> I know it wasn't my entire system as I was able to telnet on port 110
> to my work POP server, and was able to fire up Evolution and quickly
> configure an email account there as well.
>
> Then when I get to work and log back into my system from remote, I'm
> able to POP email again.
>
> This just does not make sense. Any ideas on where to start trying to
> troubleshoot the problem?

No, no idea. It was probably just a temporay hick-up. As long as it does
not occur regularly, I wouldn't worry about it.

KDE re-uses io-slaves like the POP3 io-slaves. After some time unused
io-slaves are terminated. Maybe the POP3 io-slave had some problem and
it worked again after the problematic io-slave had been terminated and
a new one started. This is pure speculation, but it would explain your
observation.

If you happen to run into this problem again, try if killing the POP3
io-slave kio_pop3 helps.

Regards,
Ingo