List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] IMAP shared mailboxes: issues with kmail?
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-01-21 20:16:07

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Wednesday 21 January 2009, Wilhelm Meier wrote:
> Am Mittwoch 21 Januar 2009 schrieb Ingo Klöcker:

> > > Yes, mostly.
> > >
> > > If auto-expunge=false, the other KMail only notice the deleted
> > > message after restart. In this case the mail-files (on the
> > > impa-server) get deleted when the KMail starts.
> > >
> > > If auto-expunge=true, the messages vanishes in another KMails
> > > list (if I select a random other folder and then select the
> > > shared folder again), if the first KMail compresses the folder on
> > > context-menu-action or if I switch to the INBOX.
> > >
> > > So, I think here are two problems:
> > >
> > > 1) the expunge of the KMail deleting the message should take
> > > place immediately or after some timeout without the need to
> > > select the INBOX
> >
> > Hmm. AFAIK expunging should not be necessary. If a message is
> > marked as deleted in a folder all other MUAs accessing this folder
> > will immediately notice that the message is marked as deleted.
>
> Reading you comment below I wonder how KMail is doing this. Or do you
> mean that the MUAs should notice the status change of the message on
> the next polling?
>
> If I do a refresh in KMail it seems that KMail does not recognize the
> status change.
>
> > > 2) the notification of the expunged message should reach the
> > > other KMail, even if I stay in the shared-folder.
> >
> > Due to technical reasons KMail cannot listen to IMAP notifications.
> > The workaround is polling, i.e. frequently checking for changes.
>
> see above, please
>
> > Quite frankly, I think the problem really is with your setup. You
> > make the assumption that symlinking the storage of the IMAP server
> > should work, but apparently it does not work because the deleted
> > flags are not shared among the symlinked instances of the shared
> > folder. Is symlinking really the standard procedure for sharing
> > folders with dovecot? Hmm, according to [1] it is, another option
> > being namespaces.
> >
> > I suggest to ask for help/advice on the dovecot mailing list
> > because to me this seems to be a problem with the symlinking
> > approach for sharing folders and not a problem with KMail.
>
> Well, I asked the dovecot-people and they said it the other way
> round: KMail should handle status changes done by other MUAs or other
> instances of the same MUA.

Hmm, indeed. I just deleted a message via webmail and then updated the
corresponding folder in KMail. The deleted message was still shown in
the message list. Only after clicking on the deleted message it was
removed from the list. Please submit a bug report for this at
http://bugs.kde.org or via Help->Report Bug.

Regards,
Ingo