List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Any Advice on changing from POP to IMAP ?
From:       Manfred Mislik <tic () tictric ! net>
Date:       2008-12-13 11:34:42

On Samstag 13 Dezember 2008 11:24:29 Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 13 December 2008 07:30:56 Werner Joss wrote:
> > On Saturday 13 December 2008 01:33:34 David Jarvie wrote:
> > > I use IMAP because of the ability to leave mail on the server for
> > > access from anywhere. But KMail under KDE 3.5 is pretty unreliable
> > > using IMAP - the IMAP folder frequently hangs and often it is necessary
> > > to manually delete its index files. (The KDE 4.1 version is even worse
> > > - I find it completely unusable for IMAP.)
> >
> > hm,
> > I can't confirm this - I never had major problems with IMAP, since
> > earlier kde 3.x versions, whereas DIMAP was less stable, at least in kde
> > 3.5.x (switched to kde 4.1.3 recently, and had no problems, since then).
> > maybe the problems you mention are related to special server incarnations
> > ?
>
> I've used IMAP from my dovecot server for 2-3 years and never had a problem
> either.  However, DIMAP is more problematic (can't say for most recent
> versions).  My experience seems to agree with your conclusions.
>
> Anne

I've been using KMail with IMAP for at least 6 years (that's the oldest mails
that I still found in any folder) with my courier-imap server and in general
don't have any problems with it that really are mentionable. DIMAP on my
notebook (where I not always have internet access and still want to be able to
read my mails) though caused me to rebuild the local cache once or twice
because of (probably) syncing errors.

So the worst scenario for me was that I just deleted my account in kmail and
set it up again and everything gets downloaded again (remember, it all stays
on the server anyway). So, nothing lost.
BUT, this might change with the appearance of Akonadi and Nepomuk because then
a lot of the history information that gets saved there will be lost then if I
am not mistaken.

Manfred

--
tictric@jabber.ccc.de