List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Messages with unknown subject,
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-15?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2008-11-17 22:03:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 17 November 2008, Paolo Pozzan wrote:
> Il sabato 15 novembre 2008 22:12:14 Anne Wilson ha scritto:

> > > Here it is:
> > > http://www.flickr.com/photos/paolop/3032029361/
> > >
> > > That's the mail I sent to this ML, using KMail, obviously.
> > > Thanks!
> >
> > Wow! I've never seen anything like that.  I think we need Ingo on
> > this one. Sorry, I've no suggestions at all.  It can't be anything
> > in the message itself, as it displayed perfectly here, but I can't
> > think of anything that would do that to it.
> >
> > Anne
>
> Hello Ingo, I reply to this message as your is corrupt...
> You find the source of the message in the attached text file.
> If you need more informations just ask.

The start of the source:
=====
91_4U3kxoIST4w65HqDig9CxaBl8Xybh0x5rei7.6XDj1SmJMgG0U5Z.Vje1vtbHqCwpCZ9NIM1Y7k4dkSuKd2 \
aEXBsfasRaKbKd20drycXFgbsiSUcbI.Xk2TqhRKSpJCBKIOXkoiM8vLLg1C6oA7BC8uwDP4R9hczzKzIo7KRC \
cPvmnSBTLG_0bhCMPLzUg7B.avVYUka7DUZ52KQLuFq6hkrsyauMD4U_dcBg0rg2ok.pWMoPOjFzZWKU8Wg.8UzamZwi4aud_n2NRufny0VRNJZO9ceduSXReMkjH01TM5v7AMeJXsK5nugu85z_CY1wg-

; from=yahoo.it; dkim=neutral  (no  sig)
  by mta347.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sat, 15 Nov 2008 09:55:22 -0800
=====

The lines
=====
=====
have been added by KMail, so the correct header should look as follows:
=====
91_4U3kxoIST4w65HqDig9CxaBl8Xybh0x5rei7.6XDj1SmJMgG0U5Z.Vje1vtbHqCwpCZ9NIM1Y7k4dkSuKd2 \
aEXBsfasRaKbKd20drycXFgbsiSUcbI.Xk2TqhRKSpJCBKIOXkoiM8vLLg1C6oA7BC8uwDP4R9hczzKzIo7KRC \
cPvmnSBTLG_0bhCMPLzUg7B.avVYUka7DUZ52KQLuFq6hkrsyauMD4U_dcBg0rg2ok.pWMoPOjFzZWKU8Wg.8UzamZwi4aud_n2NRufny0VRNJZO9ceduSXReMkjH01TM5v7AMeJXsK5nugu85z_CY1wg-

  by mta347.mail.mud.yahoo.com with SMTP; Sat, 15 Nov 2008 09:55:22 -0800
[...]
=====

Now the problem is the line starting with "; from". This line is not a valid line in \
an email message  header. Since it belongs to the preceding line it should start with \
some whitespace.

There are two possibilities:
a) Yahoo fails to add the Authentication-Results header in the correct format.
b) KMail corrupts the header when it receives the message.

I think b is highly unlikely because we would have noticed if there was such a \
serious bug in  KMail. a, OTOH, is probably not noticed by many other people because \
other mail clients are  probably more forgiving when they encounter such an invalid \
line in the header. You should be  able to verify whether it's Yahoo's fault by \
checking your mail with another mail client and then  looking at the source with this \
other mail client. Just make sure you do not check those  messages with KMail because \
that might corrupt them.

Regards,
Ingo