List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] distribution lists missing after upgrade to KDE
From:       "O. Sinclair" <o.sinclair () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-09-04 12:05:29

O. Sinclair wrote:
> Kishore wrote:
>>> I admit that I don't quite understand what that means or implies. But I
>>> eventually created a new list just to try/test. It is no problem
>>> creating or using - but the list is not found in
>>> home/user/.kde/share/apps/kabc/distlists where I find my old ones.
>>>
>>> Any clues, info, pointers to other mailinglists etc welcome. This is not
>>> the end of the world to me but irritating as 2 of my lists were quite
>>> large and to now remember who was in those... rather not
>> In KDE4, when i create a new distribution list there is a new entry in
>> $KDEHOME/share/apps/kabc/std.vcf for the list.
>>
>> It can be identified with "X-KADDRESSBOOK-DistributionList"
> Same behaviour in KDE 3.5.10.. so now how the h... do I move my old
> lists from "distlists" to "std.vcf" or is it just "forget it, the
> developer missed that problem, create/recreate the lists"?

An update on this. I filed a bug and got a reply from the maintainer:
"there is a tool now in 3.5 branch, which will upgrade the distribution
lists
to the new format automatically. Please bug your distributor to provide
updated patches soon."

I asked if maybe I just missed downloading it, what is it called;
"kabcdistlistupdater, however you don't have to run it manually,
it is executed automatically on next KDE startup once it is installed.
 > Maybe it is in the repos but I am unaware. Running Kubuntu 8.04.1
I doubt it, as I commited it to SVN branch 30 minutes ago"

and on "where can I find it":
"Well, it's in the kde SVN under
branches/KDE/3.5/kdepim/kabc/kabcdistlistupdater"

I am not guru enough to check out from svn and compile so unless I wait
until Kubuntu updates KDE 3.5 next time I am apparently stuck with
re-creating the lists I had.

I appreciate the quick response from the maintainer but certainly wish
it could have been included in the upgrade and/or more easily accessible.

Sinclair