List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kmail's disappearing uitilities and menu items?
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-05-21 19:30:36

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 17 May 2007 00:00, Roy J. Tellason wrote:
> On Wednesday 16 May 2007 15:39, Ingo Klöcker wrote:

> > > But then you are still traveling to the top menu area. When I
> > > create a new folder for a mailing list, I should be able to right
> > > click the folder and select the mailing list options for that
> > > folder. Besides, why should I have to make icon buttons for all
> > > the per-folder actions I might need?
> >
> > One of the principles of usability is not to repeat seldomly used
> > functionality everywhere. Only often used functionality is added to
> > the context menus to keep them relatively small. Obviously, the
> > best solution would be configurable context menus so that power
> > users could tweak them to their liking. Maybe sometime in the
> > future this will happen.
>
> Maybe leaving this in "properties" where it used to be would have
> been a good idea.  As stated,  the point when you want to fill this
> in is when creating a new folder for a mailing list,  which is also
> presumably when you'd want to set expiry options,  which have also
> been taken out of properties and put in the context menu -- how often
> would you change that?

In the past you would specify the expiry options in the properties
dialog and then run the expiration with an extra option in the context
menu. Now those two things have be joined. One advantage is that you
see the actual expiration settings (and change them if necessary) when
you start an expiration. So it's all nicely available via a single
dialog instead of being split into two different things. (And in fact,
I do change the expiration settings from time to time to stay below the
quota of my IMAP account.)

And the mailing list stuff is definitely something the normal user
should not be bothered with when he creates a new folder. Maybe a
better solution would have been to hide it in an expandable section of
the properties dialog or in an extra "Advanced Settings" dialog started
from the new folder dialog.

Regards,
Ingo