List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Fwd: KMail + IMAP painfully slow [more traceinfo]
From:       Ingo =?iso-8859-1?q?Kl=F6cker?= <kloecker () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-05-17 20:50:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Thursday 17 May 2007 18:52, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I switched to a new, very large (350k messages) folder.  Here's a
> trace when I interrupted it.  It took about 1.5 hours to open the
> folder.

That's quite a stress test for KMail. You caught KMail putting some data
into a hash table. Since we do not set the size of the hash table to a
suitable value it's not unlikely that the size is insufficient causing
key lookup to get horribly slow.

If you can spare the time you could run KMail in valgrind with the
callgrind extension to find out where it spends most of the time. Try
with a smaller folder.

Regards,
Ingo