List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kmail's disappearing uitilities and menu items?
From:       "Roy J. Tellason" <rtellason () verizon ! net>
Date:       2007-05-13 22:05:22

On Sunday 13 May 2007 13:15, Colin J Thomson - G6AVK wrote:
> On Sunday 13 May 2007 6:01:29 pm Gene Heskett wrote:
>
> Snip..
>
> Re Expire.
>
> > I even ran down the yum.repo for kde and updated it all last night.  I
> > like the newer colors as I think they are more readable.  But that is eye
> > candy only, and the newer version still doesn't have a configurable
> > expiry.  This lends credence to the accusations of concentrating on eye
> > candy.
>
> I'll jump in here, but your looking to configure the expire on folders in
> Kmail right?
> You can do this "per folder" by:
> right click on a folder > choose expire and then adjust the settings from
> there..
>
> works perfectly here :) FC6/Redhat-3.5.6-4.fc6

What I don't understand is why this was removed from "properties" and put on
its own separate right-click-menu item?  When setting up folders,  I'd like
to be able to do all that I want to do at once,  rather than having to
navigatge all over the place.

Why is it that "new message to mailing list" only shows up when you
right-click on that folder but _not_ when you click on message up top like it
did before?  And why is "folder holds a mailing list" _only_ showing up as a
menu item from that top "folder" selection but not when you right-click on
the folder and not under properties?

All of this is explicitly removing what was there before,  design decisions
that _someone_ made somewhere along the way,  and I don't consider these to
be good decisions.

And then there's the "automatic" compacting of folders that's going on.
Whether I want it to or not.  With no way to disable it.  On folders that
should _never_ need to be compacted because they're archival in nature. With
the end result being that I could be in the middle of typing a message and
then all of a sudden everything just *stops* on my screen and I don't know
how many of the characters I just typed are going to make it in there so I
need to wait until it's done with what it decided needed doing,  usually
several seconds.  This is also a bad design choice,  not considering the end
user,  and not addressed in any of the replies that I've seen to date here so
far.

Does anybody want to address any of these points,  and not be telling me how I
should be feeling about this software?  I'll say this,  I don't feel nearly
as positive about this software as I used to.

That sort of "let's change things around arbitrarily and add and remove
_features_" behavior is one of the things that I can't stand about m$,  and
considered to be more typical of their behavior than of anything I might find
in the stuff I normally choose to use.  Is that where this software is going?
I sure hope not...

-
M Dakin