List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] ldap as common adressbook for kmail and outlook
From:       "Martin \(KDE\)" <kde () fahrendorf ! de>
Date:       2007-04-15 16:52:38

Am Sonntag, 15. April 2007 schrieb Georg Emberger:
> Hy all,
>
> I would have a question. Is it possible to use a ldap-server as
> common "adressbook" in a small workgroup network?

Yes, that is possible. I have used it for some years - but no longer
uses it. I will try it with the next KDE version.

> There is running a Windows 2003 server and opensuse 10.2. I would
> like to install on the windows server an openldap - server and on
> the notebook with the Linux a ldap-client.

Please be carefull, Windows Server usualy have a Active Direcroty
server running - which is a ldap server. Disabling this server will
stop the windows system acting as server.

> I think it would be god so sync all the adressdatas...
>
> As much as I know, the ldap server needs a domain (this I have not)
>
> Is it a good idea or is it completely rubbish?

The idea is not that bad. But there are some disadvantages: The Linux
mailclients are not realy good in using ldap (different ldap schemas)
and not everything is configurable.

If you want to use outlook and if you have a windows server licence
with exchange ... There is a kontact exchange connector out there
afaik.