List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kmail: what it's doing...
From:       Anne Wilson <cannewilson () tiscali ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-04-07 18:40:52

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Saturday 07 April 2007, Bill Anderson wrote:
> On Saturday 07 April 2007 01:34:11 Anne Wilson wrote:
> > >
> > > It depends on how willing to lose email you are. I know for me I had to
> > > remove all but one of my accounts from KMail because it was deleting
> > > mail due to a (still unfixed) bug. Some bugs you can tolerate while
> > > exploring, but when it comes to data loss one should not be expected to
> > > "work through it".
> >
> > True.  For situations like this, I use very regular (several times a day)
> > cron backups, in multi-generations :-)
>
> I'm with you there, but in my case even that wouldn't catch them. Bug
> 138855. Messages come in, get filtered, sync happens, they get deleted.
> It's sad to me because KMail is like the Capitalism of email clients: Of
> all of them it sucks the least. ;)
>
> My other gripes I can mostly live with. Things like not being able to set a
> view filter (such as viewing Unread Messages Only) on a folder and have
> that be the default when I come back - instead of having to select it every
> time; selecting a different sort order on one folder and that gets set for
> all folders I view after; not being able to send a message to an external
> app that returns a value I can use as a trigger for filters. Those types of
> letdowns I can kinda live with. Unfortunately that bug is just too
> dangerous to keep using Kmail.
>
> I suppose I could use an Inotify based script to pull all new messages into
> a backup folder outside of kmail but it's not worth the trouble. I could
> also go back to the debug build where it asks me each time, but then well
> it gets ugly with all the dialogs.

Is there any indication at all of when this started happening, Bill?  IOW, is
it version-specific?

It doesn't sound to be distro-specific, as you reported it in Gentoo, and I
think Roy was using Slackware.

This is the first time I've realised that you are talking about dimap - I
wonder if Roy is, too.  I use plain imap, and don't see the behaviour you
report.

I can't think of any other variables that might apply, can you?

Anne