List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kmail: what it's doing...
From:       "Roy J. Tellason" <rtellason () verizon ! net>
Date:       2007-04-06 20:27:52

On Friday 06 April 2007 14:46, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > Unfortunately, doing it manually often means forgetting to do it at
> > > all.
> >
> > I don't see that as much of a problem.
> >
> > OTOH,  a bit earlier today I saw it "compacting" a folder here that
> > contains only archived material -- one which _never_ gets any smaller.
>
> What exactly did you see?  I've never 'seen' any compaction.

Right now,  in the status line on the bottom of my screen,  I see the
message "Folder xxxx successfully compacted".  This is a folder that I just
referenced a little while ago,  looking for a URL,  and which contains the
correspondence I've had with one particular individual.  It doesn't need to
be compacted,  and the software doing so is wasting my time because of the
pauses I get when *I* want it to do something and it's bogged down with this
other stuff.  Now down there I see "Folder sent-mail successfully
compacted"...

But I'll hit a key to do something,  and see a nontrivial delay between me
hitting the key (or doing something with the mouse) and the desired result
showing up on my screen.  I'll see a significant lag in other areas as well.
And I'm getting really tired of it.

If I were feeling a bit more ambitious,  I'd snag the source and have at it,
ripping out a bunch of that crap,  but I don't really have the time to do
that,  and will instead probably just switch to some other mail client...

> Are these folders mbox?  If they are, there's the answer to your problem.
> Mbox gets progressively slower as the files grow.  That's the reason I
> changed to maildir.

They're _all_ maildir,  which strikes me as being somewhat more robust.

> > Another example is when I want to highlight some text,  say I want to do
> > a search on it or whatever.  I can see from the status lights and the
> > delay involved that the machine is actually hitting swap when I
> > right-click in preparation to ctrl-C for copy.  WTH?
>
> Again, I'm not sure what you mean by saying that you can see that it's
> hitting swap.  Perhaps you could elaborate?

I right-click on some text that I've highlighted,  and there's a distinct
pause while the HD light comes on and whatever bit of code that's supposed to
handle things gets pulled back into RAM.  Or at least that's my assumption
about what's happening.

> > > I don't know what's doing that.l  It certainly doesn't do it here.  I
> > > have folders with mail in that date from 2005 - folders without expiry
> > > set, that is.  I never have unread mail for long, but if the problem
> > > existed here I would expect to have seen it.
> >
> > Well,  that's the thing -- it was unread mail.  I lost my connectivity
> > for a period of a few months,  and then I didn't have access to most of
> > my computer gear,  just this laptop.  And I wasn't real happy to fire it
> > up, seeing unread mail in that last batch of stuff I'd been able to
> > retrieve , and then watch as the software wiped it out before my eyes
> > before I had a chance to view most of it.
>
> I can't see that we are going to get anywhere with this one - you have no
> error messages or anything else that would help us know what's happening.
> All I know is that it's not normal.  I've never heard of anyone else having
> that problem.

I did find that the only folders that were affected this way were ones where I
had set an expiry period for _read_ mail.  There's another checkbox in there
for deleting _unread_ mail that's older than a certain amount,  I think that
defaults to 30 days vs. the 7 day default of the other,  and I've _never_
checked that selection.  Why it should activate anyhow is beyond me.

> > > Maybe you are going to have to get a more technical answer, after all.
> >
> > Maybe I'm just going to have to switch to a different mail client,  and
> > stop using kmail.
>
> Your choice, but that will not help you to ever know what caused it.  It's
> not kmail's normal behaviour.  Something caused it.  How do you know that
> the same cause will not affect another application?  If it were me, I'd
> want to find the reason.

I don't know,  but if there's no way that I can turn some of this stuff off,
and the only way to find things out would be for me to get into the source
and try and figure it from that end,  then I'm not too likely to be able to
do that any time soon because of time/energy constraints.  <shrug>

-
M Dakin