List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Kpilot Ate my Future
From:       "Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper" <vr () movingparts ! net>
Date:       2007-03-30 19:50:57

On Thursday 29 March 2007, Staci wrote:
> I was so excited, I finally got my palm to sync with the latest version of
> kubuntu (6.10), KDE 3.5.4 and kpilot 4.6.0!
>
> And then I looked at my PIM software and about fainted.
> It ate everything except my contacts.
> My upcoming events, my work schedule, my family/friend birthdays, my
> alarms, everything.
> Kontact doesn't see it.
> Is there somewhere this stuff might be hidden, or is it really GONE???
> Why???
>
> Thanks,
> Staci

Hi Staci,

First off, as a kpilot developer, it pains me to see this kind of e-mail!!
So, I really feel bad that you're having problems like this.  =:(  Let's see
if we can work through this, piece at a time...

Please make sure you make frequent backups of your local and PDA's databases.
I know it sounds like you shouldn't have to, and in an ideal world you
wouldn't but when bugs come around and take your data from you (as it looks
like they might have here), you know how true this statement is.

So... what version of pilot-link are you using?  If it's pilot-link 0.12.x in
combination with kpilot < 4.9.0, there are unfortunate known data loss
problems.  The hopeful solution is to upgrade to the latest KDE (3.5.6, which
provides kpilot 4.9.0).

As for your data...  do you have any backups of your palm data?  You can look
in ~/.kde/share/apps/kpilot/DBBackup/<yourusername>/ to see if you have
AddressDB.pdb, DatebookDB.pdb, ToDoDB.pdb, and MemoDB.pdb.  If you do, save
those off somewhere safe immediately!!!  Also, look in
~/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/ for std.ics.  You might or might not have
std.ics~, which may contain a backup of your data.  If you have it, save it
immediately.  Similarly, your contact data will be in ~/.kde/share/apps/kabc/
and you will hopefully have some backup files in there because kabc keeps its
own backup files.

So, again, before you try to do anything further, check for those backups and
copy them somewhere safe!!

Please let me know how else I can help, and again, my sincerest frustration,
sadness, and apologies.  =:(

--
 -[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-
 -[ KDE PIM Developer         //  http://www.kde.org  ]-