List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Google Summer of Code - Akonadi Web Interface
From:       Art Alexion <art.alexion () verizon ! net>
Date:       2007-03-21 18:43:24

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 19 March 2007 12:41, Nathan Dumont wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just thought I'd see what reaction this idea got.  I posted a proposal to
> make a webmail style interface for KMail so you could check all your mail
> accounts at once by using your PC as a sort of intermediate mail server.
> However, I got the suggestion that a Web interface to Akonadi would be more
> useful, and having read up on it I definitely agree, is this something you
> think is a good idea for Google's Summer of Code?

Perhaps I don't understand your suggestion, but I'm not sure why I would want
another web interface to my mail when my ISP and GMail already provide one.
The reason I use a POP client like kmail is because I don't like web mail,
but if I did, my ISP already provides me one.

I may be wrong, but I think most ISPs do these days.  If not, there are
websites out there which will retrieve POP mail from any ISP and present it
through a webmail interface.  (I can't remember any URLs as I haven't a need
for at least 7 years, but I used such interfaces in the late 90's.)

Curiously, my ISP's webmail interface is evolving to look more and more like a
standalone POP client...

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @