List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kaddressbook 3.4.2: Disabling backup files?
From:       Robert Smits <bob () rsmits ! ca>
Date:       2007-03-18 22:49:52

On Sunday 18 March 2007 12:01, Felix E. Klee wrote:

> > Keep them for the day when something overwrites and corrupts your
> > std.vcf file and you lose all your contacts.
>
> How should that happen? I know that there are programs that sometimes
> don't corrupt native files (Mathematica is a prominent example), but I
> hope that kaddressbook isn't one of them.

Regardless of how it happens - losing power when a drunk runs into the hydro
pole down the street when your computer is in the middle of a write cycle,
for example - you'll be glad you have a backup.

> > Then you simply rename the latest vcf file to std.vcf and you haven't
> > lost everything.
>
> I tend to do backups several times a day, especially when I change a lot
> of data.

Well for most of us, having it happen automatically is preferable to having to
remember to do backups.

> Anyway, IMHO one should be able to disable creation of backup files, or
> - even better - to tell kaddressbook to store backup files in a
> different directory.

You can. When in the calendar go to tools, settings, show extension bar,
address books. Edit the default calendar resource and you can choose any
other location.

--
Bob Smits bob@rsmits.ca