List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] A simple way to get kpilot to find USB handheld
From:       "Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper" <vr () movingparts ! net>
Date:       2007-03-14 16:25:21

On Friday 09 March 2007, Richard White wrote:
> I have kde, kpilot, korganizer under Debian 'etch' (could provide details,
> but not sure it matters).  Palm    Zire 21, which is recognised by OS (via
> dmesg) and by pilot-link. However problem is:-
>
> 1) kpilot will sync selected conduits, provided it sees the pilot device.
> 2) But... being a usb device, the pilot will come up as USB1, 2, 3 ....at
> different times.
> 3) kpilot  appears designed to look only for a specific USB device code,.
> 4) while this works for serial ports, it is not consistent with USB
> 5) I've looked at some of the FAQ suggestionns, but they are only specific
> for BSD.
>
> Need a way to make kpilot look for a dynamically assigned device code and
> not a static one.  Help please!
>
> Thanks!
>
> Richard White

Hi Richard,

From what I've seen, most of the time that the same port is not created for
subsequent syncs is due to kpilot not releasing the socket/file handle.
Then, the next time the device tries to sync, the kernel will create the next
available device.  If you're able to try it, the kpilot code in the
not-yet-released subversion branch should handle this much better than in the
past.

However, you mentioned that you have a Zire 21.  This device (and others,
unfortunately) is notorious for creating a device connection that is normally
used for syncing and then not actually wanting to sync.  The result that this
has is that kpilot will see that the device exists and then wait indefinitely
for it to start syncing.  There is a "USB Workaround" dropdown that you can
set in kpilot's Device configuration section to get around this.  Again, this
should work much better out of the box in the next version of kpilot (which
I'd love to have you help me test!!!).  =:)

Please let me know how this goes for you.  =:)

--
 -[ Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper    //  http://movingparts.net ]-
 -[ KDE PIM Developer         //  http://www.kde.org  ]-