List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Backup of maildir files
From:       Jean-Philippe Monteiro <joaophilippe.mb.monteiro () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-02-28 0:32:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Tuesday 27 February 2007 19:56, Damnshock wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 February 2007, Jean-Philippe Monteiro wrote:

> > 1) I have a 50 megs partition in ext3 on my 250gb external drive where I
> > put my "home" backups, the stuff vital to the system.
>
> 50megs? :P

50Gigs, huh...

> > 3) I use konserve to do backups, in several stances, once a day, to the
> > vFat partition. Every month or so, I manually delete the previous month
> > content but for the last one.
>
> Great app, didn't know about it. Thanks!

Konserve natively auto-starts itself (in SuSE93 at least). For some reason an
everyday backup only start to truly work after 2/3 days

[snip]

> 1% of emails lost is simply unacceptable (it depends on your needs
> obviously ;) ). Anyway, as said before, i think you lost theme because of
> vfat, not for your  method.

Some days, you know, even only about work, much more than 1% is actually a
waste of bandwith... Now this message was long enough, and I actually have
_more_ backups strategies, even dumber ones, running here: a "header contains
<to>, COPY TO <backupall> folder" is the first line of defence against kmail
"blanking" emails sometimes. With two stances of every messages, one sorted
properly in the folder tree & the other piled up in the <backupall> folder
surely overrides the 1% waste.

> > A last word of Good Luck: one week after this recovery & migration
> > try-out, my maXtor OneTouch II died, aged 9 months. That's when I set-up
> > a gmail account where ALL gets forwarded. A backup Strategy ? Sure, get
> > rid of your files somewhere it's safe!
>
> That's a great solution, but with one problem: privacy. You're giving
> Google TONS of information which i don't like at all. But that's another
> topic...
>
> Damnshock

"Damn" you're right, and I tend to consider google as "evil" as microsoft.
It's not even _that_ sure considering gmail's TOR specify "private use only"
and these backups are all about work...

Cheers

Jean-Philippe

--

PHNOM PENH - CAMBODIA
ubuntu 6.06 kernel 2.6.15 Enlightenment DR16