List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] Backup of maildir files
From:       Chris Gow <sniffy () rogers ! com>
Date:       2007-02-26 19:21:59

On Monday 26 February 2007 14:10:11 Dick Angus wrote:
> I just found that out as the tar file is 4Gb+ and ARK fails.
>
> A question on ext3 versus VFAT: If I format the USB drive as ext3 (and by
> the way I would prefer that) can I still transfer stuff to my wife's
> MiniMac or a friends Windows system with that drive?
>
> This set of messages shows my obvious lack of in-depth knowledge of Linux.
> I sure appreciate the help from you guys.
>
> On Monday 26 February 2007 11:33 am, kitts wrote:
> > On Monday 26 Feb 2007 IST, Dick Angus wrote:
> > > I suppose with an external drive like this I can use a tool like ARK to
> > > open the backup, in place, and then select the files I want, true?
> >
> > I would not recommend using Ark with large tar's. It seems to consume
> > large amounts of memory and has slow performance. IMHO prefer the command
> > line.
> >
> > Personally, i think that a FAT filesystem for backup is in itself a bad
> > idea. I would recommend using a journalled filesystem such as  ext3.
> > Cheers!
> > kitts

I believe there are device drivers you can download for windows. What I was
contemplating a while back was creating a small FAT partion on my portable
hard drive and keeping the device driver there and installing the driver when
I needed it on windows. Either that or keeping it on a USB memory stick. I
disregarding that as I wasn't sure if people would allow me to install such a
driver on their machines.

So I've for now stuck with VFAT and splitting large files up.

-- chris