List:       kdepim-users
Subject:    Re: [kdepim-users] kpilot still broken in 3.5.6?
From:       Adriaan de Groot <groot () kde ! org>
Date:       2007-02-10 10:51:56

On Saturday 10 February 2007 04:05, Justin Nawrocki wrote:
> On Friday 09 February 2007, Jason 'vanRijn' Kasper wrote:
> > Sounds like a bug.  If you can reproduce it and give us a good logfile
> > from kpilotDaemon, please file a bug report for it.
>
> This is something that I'll do a little more testing on and report.  This
> may sound stupid but ... how can I get the Daemon to write a logfile?  Or
> is it already written, just somewhere I should know (but don't)?

Compile from SVN as follows:

1) Get source code as usual
2) Add --enable-debug to your configure arguments
3) Compile and install

Run kpilotDaemon from a konsole; you may want to add --debug 3 to the
command-line arguments. You will see something like this:

adridg@ham:~/CodeYard/kpilot+$ /tmp/kpilot/bin/kpilotDaemon
>main
  >getDebugLevel
! [int main(int, char**)]
!   Is still not configured for use.
  >sorryVersionOutdated

... and lots more of that. There's your debug output. Send it to a file with
> /tmp/daemon.log .

> > > the categories I had put them into had been lost.  I think it has
> > > something to do with categories because this one category I'd made (in
> > > Japanese) got duplicated every time I synced, and all contacts ended
> > > up in there.  I'll try fiddling a bit more.
>
> I think i've narrowed it down to the fact that my Palm is running a
> Japanese OS.  I noticed that once I changed my Japanese contacts into
> regular roman characters, they started showing up in Kontact after sync.
> If I keep them in Japanese, they tend to either never show up, or just get
> really screwed up on the Palm side after sync.

Is the encoding for the Palm set correctly? There's no way for KPilot to
detect that you're using Japanese on the handheld, and if you sync with
something like Latin-1 the Japanese certainly will get borked.

> Certainly, the contact isn't in a category on the Kontact side.  I'll check
> this out more to see if I can figure out a pattern.

Please do. We can whip up some small test apps to fiddle with the data. We're
always lacking, though, in usable data for tests in a structured way
(obviously because people don't want to give out their address books).

--
KDE Quality Team  http://www.englishbreakfastnetwork.org/
GPG: FEA2 A3FE    http://people.fruitsalad.org/adridg/